Sex therapy is a specialized form of psychotherapy. It emphasizes understanding the psychological and physical causes of sexual difficulties, increasing information about sexuality, enhancing intimate interactions, improving communication skills and facilitating more functional sexual expression. If indicated, therapists make referrals to physicians or other medical professionals with specialties in sexual health.
Sessions are similar to those of other kinds of psychotherapy. Frequently, assignments are given to clients to carry out in the privacy of their own homes. Therapists work with individuals, couples and families.
Sex therapy may address issues related to:
- Values and lifestyles
- Sexual identity, orientation and transgender issues
- Fostering normal sexual development
- Problems with desire, arousal and orgasm
- Relationship and intimacy issues
- Sexual difficulties as a result of trauma, abuse, compulsive sexual behaviors, physical disability, pain, illness or surgery
Please visit our MCPST Therapists page and the individual pages of our therapists to learn more about which of our clinicians may be of assistance to you with the issues you are addressing.
If you have further questions, please contact our Administrative Manager Sarah who will be of assistance to you. You may reach her at (608) 237-8000 x 3. Sarah’s email is email@example.com.